Mizu-Kioku.Net

Temporary blog for Mizu-Kioku.Net

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Korean class

Attended my first Korean class yesterday. The class enrolment was like 30 students! 30 students might sound like a small number but when you put 30 adults into a classroom meant for primary school children, 30 is a huge number! The worst thing is that the aircon was quite weak in the first hour of the class...guess how stuffy was that?

Anyway, my teacher started introducing herself in Korean and wanted each and every student to do so too. Man, it was seriously funny listening to people talking Korean in weird accents. Ok, I should not be laughing at them because I probably talk weirdly too. Although my classmates had strange Korean accents, they all had like the American accent when they started talking English. The funny thing is that the American accent only came out when they were talking to the teacher. While they were talking among themselves, they started spewing Singlish. I wonder why...

My class is made up of mostly working adults and some aunties who are probably learning Korean because of Bae Yong Jun. Then again, I must admit that I'm not anywhere better than those aunties. I think my main motive of learning Korean is because I want to be able to communicate with Sungie oppa and because I'm rather interested in the culture...and the Korean guys...haha. Whatever. However, I didnt expect to see a close-to-80-years-old-grandfather in my class too... At first, I thought that he was one of the teachers and I was seriously shocked to see that he was my classmate. I think this is what you call 'huo dao lao, xue dao lao'(live till an old age, learn till an old age).

My teacher has really lousy English I must say. She can talk halfway sometimes then stop because she's unable to complete her sentence. Thus, she has resorted to teaching us more Korean phrases so that she can minimise her usage of English as far as possible. Then again, who's complaining? We're learning more this way :D

After class, Li Ming's mom sent me to the MRT station near her house. Luckily she gave me a lift or else I might still be around that area now still trying to figure my way out to the MRT station. I took a taxi to class yesterday so I basically am still unable to navigate myself from the MRT to the school. This means that I got to leave my house early tomorrow and try to find my way there or else I'll be forever taking taxis there...and that is really expensive...:(

By the way, if you havent noticed already...I've deleted the radio blog because it's just simply taking up bandwidth and I dont really update it often. I dont even think anyone listens to it so yup...it's gone for good.

Anyway, I've uploaded some photos of my colleagues and me at Just Education to the gallery. Go see if you want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home